Why Is Product Packaging Important for Dropshippers: Answered
The world of dropshippers is becoming more and more competitive. Online retail figures for 2020 of over 4 trillion $US according to experts are a good indication that many more dropshippers are looking for that elusive 6 figure salary.
But why is product packaging important for dropshippers? Why is it crucial you stand out from the crowd? Where and how can you improve your brand with not only great products but also unique packaging?
In our helpful article, we will answer these questions once and for all, along with some packaging ideas so you can get started straight away!
Let’s first start covering the brief before we head into more details.
Product packaging is important to dropshippers for many reasons. Offering personalized extras such as thank you notes, builds relationships and builds brands. Unique packaging helps products stand out from competitors, creates a buzz around your products, and exceeds customer expectations.
Ok so with the short answer covered, so we can understand a little more easily why product packaging is important for dropshippers, let’s start by investigating a few of the main points to remember…
Why is product packaging important?
So as we pointed out at the top of the article, it’s crucial to stand out in a world of eCommerce store owners.
How will you make your brand unique? What can you offer your customers in terms of an experience and how to make sure your customers are talking about your products to their friends and colleagues?
Create a buzz around your products
Great product packaging can help your brand stand out. Great packaging keeps your present customers happy but also builds a ‘following’ for you and your winning products.
Social media platforms such as Instagram with over 1 billion users are a hotbed for influencers who will be able to promote your winning products. Having unique, unusual, or bespoke packaging is one way to win friends and influence people!
Spending time developing your dropshipping branding and packaging will give that competitive edge over any of your challengers in the marketplace.
“Great packaging keeps your present customers happy but also builds
a ‘following’ for you and your winning products.”
As the online world grows, so do customers’ expectations.
These days you can receive order in some cases, a few hours after you’ve ordered it from the big players such as Amazon.
Modern online consumers are looking for something a little bit special or unique and eCommerce store owners are falling over themselves to provide engaging backstories, along with thoughtful little extras such as thank you cards.
A recent study uncovered that a huge 40% of customers are likely to buy from you repeatedly from online eCommerce store owners who offer premium packaging, alongside giving customers a feeling that they are receiving a premium product.
“A recent study uncovered that a huge 40% of customers are likely to buy from
you repeatedly from online eCommerce store owners who offer premium packaging,”
Customers want to buy into your journey as a retailer and the most successful dropshippers understand this.
With 33% of all online consumers going straight to your website, customers want an experience from dropshippers that makes them feel special and that they are important to you.
Building up a unique dialogue with them can be achieved in a number of ways, but by branding and packaging your products thoughtfully, with the customer in mind, they will be more likely to buy from you in the future.
Ok so with some of the reasons why product packaging is important for dropshippers, let’s discover the types of packaging available before checking out the cost.
“Customers want an experience from dropshippers which makes
them feel special and that they are important to you.”
Common types of product packaging for dropshipping
So there are many types of packaging to use to give your customers a unique experience.
With eCommerce predicting a total market value by 2025 of $61.55 billion, it’s worth wrapping your products in the best types of packaging.
- Corrugated boxes: These are not only sturdy and protect your product during shipping, but they are also cost-effective as they add little weight. Another plus point is they are eco-aware as they can be fully recycled.
- Bubble bags: For dropshippers who sell delicate items such as jewelry, electronics and handmade items, a bubble bag is perfect. Any product that is small or flat will work well in a bubble bag.
- Zipper bags: Zipper bags are very popular with dropshippers and can be customized fairly easily. However it’s worth realizing this is not an eco-friendly option. Keep in mind today’s consumers are more and more likely to be concerned with the planet.
- Custom product packaging: This option is the best for creating a unique packaging experience for your customers. There is a wealth of ways you can offer your customers a personalized packaging option. Thank you notes and other inserts add a special connection with your customers
- Excelsior: packaging such as crinkle paper, which can be brown or color, or wood fibers, commonly called excelsior. This will help to keep a more ‘high-end’ feel to your product and good unboxing experience. Although excelsior seems like attractive packaging, it can work out very expensive for dropshippers, which can in turn mean you have to inch up your final price point.
As packaging is essentially a way to protect your winning products during the shipping process, dropshippers who utilize this to build their brand and create memorable experiences for their customers will be on the winning team.
So although we can see the packaging is important, the cost is a consideration to dropshippers. Whether you are running a successful enterprise or if you are just starting out.
“Thank you notes and other inserts add a special
connection with your customers”
Product packaging cost
When working out the costs there are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Design cost: when designing the visual identity of your brand, make sure you have the whole set: the logo, the font, the color, and the source file.
- Procurement cost: International shipping cost is calculated per 10 grams, or sometimes 50 grams. So keeping the packaging weight minimum is the wiser choice.
“International shipping cost is calculated per 10 grams.”
Discuss product packaging with your supplier
There could be back-and-forth communications about customizing packaging with your supplier, since it is more complicated than putting a logo onto a box. Before placing bulk orders, make sure to ask for sample (usually comes with sampling fee).
Usually, the supplier will ask you to place bulk orders on packaging and products, to save costs and streamline the workflow.
“the supplier will ask you to place bulk orders on packaging and products,
to save costs and streamline the workflow.”
And to finish on…
So there it is! everything you needed to know about why packaging is important for the success of your dropshipping enterprise and to help you on the road to that elusive 6 figure income!
Building a brand to engage your customers will help you with a competitive edge, increase your profits and keep your customers coming back die more!